Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Words of Encouragement

The following appeared in a devotional, A Faithful Soldier, put together for Dr. Jerry Vines' retirement.


Old Time Religion

The only time I saw W. A. Criswell was during the 1998 Pastor's Conference in Jacksonville, Florida. Silence filled the room as he was helped up the stairs. Then, with a clear, powerful voice, this aging man brought the greatest sermon I have ever heard. Though I was only twelve years old, I knew I was in the presence of a great man of God. I can still hear his words echoing faintly as he closed his sermon by leading the congregation in, "Give me that old time religion..."

Having answered the call to ministry when I was thirteen, I was prepared to enter it with enthusiasm and hard endurance. It felt like pure bliss in that air of youth to think of serving Jesus every day of my life. Now, having taken just a tiny step through the threshold of the ministry, I suddenly realize what hard endurance is. When answering the call, no one every warned me of the unwanted jobs that become yours, the grumpy guests, and the shattered heart that often accompanies your day-to-day life. The ministry held a new light. Not only was it the passon of my existence, but at times,it was also the thorn that piereced my very heart. Discouragement can surround me with its grip of weakness, causing me to feel overwhelmed. I can find myself thinking that I am giving it my best shot and sacrificeing all, yet everthing concerning my ministry lies in a heap of cold, unwanted ashes. During these moments, I wonder if there is even a flicker of passion left for this calling that Christ has asked of me. But then I remember, He asked this of me. Jesus, the One who spilt His precious blood, asked me to endure for His sake just a little heartache, compared to what He sacrificed for me.

The ministry once again rises before me. Though challenges loom ahead and the rain of despair can at times be heavy, these aches can be shattered with the joy of ministering. It will be worth every bit of pain if I touch the heart of a child, make a minister's load lighter, or have a hand in leading a heart to Christ. And throughout my life of ministry, somewhere a distant echo will encourage me onward, "Give me that old time religion, 'cause it's good enough for me..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home