Saturday, April 15, 2006

Do They See Jesus in Me?

May I be transparent with you? While I was in Jacksonville for Spring Break, I got to hear a convicting sermon by David Allen at my church. First Baptist was expecting their "new pastor" the next Sunday, and the message Dr. Allen brought to the congregation was that of servanthood. As I sat on the familiar red pew, conviction pounded in my heart. He spoke two things that I wrote in the margin of my Bible, and that struck the depths of my heart, "I'll serve you in the bay window, but not in the basement....and....God owns me, He doesn't owe me." I realized, how often am I willing to do a job that puts me in the "bay window" of ministry, or the spotlight of recognition-- But when I find myself in the position of doing a "basement job," just doing it with minimal joy and passion? Leaving the service, I knew that Jesus was asking more of me.

Two days after that convicting sermon, I found myself in a local LifeWay staring at the picture above. The minute I saw it in the store, I knew it was meant for me to take back to Boyce as a painful reminder of what I had become....I bought it. Gazing at Jesus bending down washing a man's feet, made any ounce of pride at what I've "accomplished" in my ministry shatter and I was gently showed by my Savior what a true servant looks like. I realized in moments that it never mattered if I had a "bay window" job, I should be completely content in doing any "basement" job He may ask of me. After all, He owes me nothing, I owe Him my very life...

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I never ever ever thought that I would approve of the purchase of art from a Christian bookstore, but this time I do.

May all our pride shatter and all our lives be transparent.

- Paul

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture!! miss and love ya!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home