Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Peace, Be Still

I was reading in Mark tonight, "And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?" Mark 4: 38-41.

How often do I, when I think I'm drowning in a storm, find myself crying out to Jesus, "You have no idea what I'm going through...Do you not care, do you not realize what's happening in my life?" A couple of weeks ago my heart was just shattered over a circumstance that had taken place and I found myself crying aloud in my dorm room, "Do you know how much my heart hurts right now?" When I read these verses tonight, it became so clear that I was doing the exact same thing as the disciples. Jesus answered their pleas by rising up and simply saying, "Peace, be still." And the seas obeyed. He knew exactly what was taking place, He was in control of the situation. Then He turns to them and says, "Why are ye so fearful?" Jesus knew how my heart was hurting, and He desired for me to trust Him completely and not become fearful that He was not understanding my heartbreak and circumstances. How can I forget that Jesus, who died for me and loves me more than I can imagine, wants to orchestrate the details of my life? That His heart breaks when mine hurts. That He does indeed understand, that He desires to bring peace and stillness. Though I get blinded at times by the storms of life, I am thankful that He still rises to my desperate pleas of fear, looks with pity at my tearstained face and tenderly whispers, "Peace, be still."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home