Thursday, June 08, 2006

A Lesson At Camp

The feel of camp was in the air. All around me Cedarmore campers were in abundance and the smells and sounds that are associated with such a week of camp could be sensed. I realized I had an hour break and sneaked into the worship center to do some ambassador work on my laptop. Minutes passed as I worked undisturbed before I heard someone come through the double doors at the back of the room. After turning, I saw that it was the pastor who had come for the week to lead the sermons. He stopped by my row of chairs to say ‘hi,’ then moved on up the aisle, Bible in hand, and knelt down at the alter to pray. The picture of this man of God praying at the podium, with his Bible clutched in his hands, pierced my heart. I had been pondering why I was here a week at camp trying to do ambassador work, and in that instance God clearly spoke and said, “That’s why you’re here. To see this.”

I was reminded of the rare, beautiful moments we sometimes get to glimpse throughout life…Some memories you know you will never forget. Thoughts such as getting to see Dr. Criswell preach, holding Adrian Rogers hand as he took me by his side for a picture, hearing Dr. Vines preach his last sermon at First Baptist, seeing Bob Barton praying in his room at my own middle school camp, and now seeing this man doing the same before the room became crowded with campers. Sometimes the ministry can become so full of administrative and consuming tasks that I can tend to forget that the real heart of ministry lies in falling to ones knees on a smelly old carpet, in an empty worship center, and praying to God to somehow make an impact on someone….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home