Sunday, March 19, 2006

Salvation & Starbucks

This afternoon I found myself at Starbucks. Amidst a jumble of thoughts and bits of prayer, I knew that God was telling me I needed to witness to somebody in this well known coffee shop. I looked about: A man wearing a "beer is food" t-shirt, a couple behind me engaged in an argument, a man buried in a newspaper, and two young men sitting directly in front of me. Something had caught my eye when these two guys had walked in. Ever since they had inhabited their seats, they had proceeded to glance my way. I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me to speak with one of these particular gentlemen, and to my shame, I told Him that that was not going to happen because that would give off the wrong impression to these staring males. (Why do I argue with God, His ideas really aren't dumb...) I bent my head down and proceeded to pray for this man that he would indeed have an opportunity to hear the Gospel from someone other than me.

As I was praying I looked up, and to my amazement the man was standing next to me. Jaw falling open, I proceeded to listen as he introduced himself and asked what I was doing. Offering him a seat beside me, I began telling him that I was praying to God. Without missing a beat the man began telling me that he had lost everything--a beautiful wife, child, family, job, and had started on drugs--Continuing on in his story he told me he had reached a point where he called out to God and needed help. Taking hold of this amazing opportunity, I began to share with him about how God helped me in sending Jesus. After presenting the Gospel, I asked him about his relationship with Jesus. He told me that yes, he had put his trust in Him, but still just tried to focus on the day and pray for Heaven. After a bit more conversing I encouraged him in that Jesus has paid for all of our sins and that He has promised Heaven to those who put their trust in Him. You could tell the pieces were beginning to come together...

As he left my table, joy welled up in my heart. I wanted to stand up in Starbucks and yell, "God Rocks!!!!".....But decided to instead listen to Hillsongs United proclaim, "Tell the world that Jesus lives..."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He that winneth souls is wise." (Proverbs 11:30b)
I'm so thankful that I have a wise daughter.

6:48 PM  
Blogger The Fosters said...

Thanks, Mom. I love you.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

That's fantastic Lauren! Praise God that He uses we the weak.
- Paul

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You also "rock" baby for being bold and courageous! Your sister shell!

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home